View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Rob, let us know if the 20"ers help. I currently have the 19" standard with the 35d sport because I wasn't enamored with the 214s. I'm thinking of moving up to some 20" replicas of ones currently delivered on the X6M. I think they'll look pretty stylin'. Improved handling will be an extra bonus.
Hey barbja and everyone. Got the 35d yesterday. My 2006 E53 is now sitting in front looking lonely.... The steering is a little lighter and not quite as direct as the E53, (which had the sport/19" staggered array) but not so much that I'm disappointed. Certainly livable. As I said in another thread earlier today, light, over-boosted steering is NOT what BMW is about. So I'd give it a 6 1/2 or 7 out of 10 if the E53 is a 8 out of 10 and my old 1995 525 was a 9 out of 10. The 525 still had the most telepathic steering of any BMW I've had, and I've had a few.

If I have any small disappointment, it's probably the dashboard and the dashboard lighting at night. The E53 has a beautiful instrument cluster with the gas and temperature separate to the right and left of the speed/tach. On the E70 there's something compressed and busy having just the speed and tach together with a very small area between for the milage, outside temperature, etc. I see the new 5 and 7 Series are going back to a a look much more similar to the E53 and E34 5 Series, etc. (Plus, the volume and other control buttons on the steering wheel are not nearly as well lit, even with the rheostat all the way up.) But the interior is a nice place to be, all in all. Just not quite as nice at night.

Beyond those quibbles, I'm thrilled. I'm just so happy the steering and handling is not a letdown. And I'm looking forward to much better fuel economy.