View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
As I said in another thread earlier today, light, over-boosted steering is NOT what BMW is about. So I'd give it a 6 1/2 or 7 out of 10 if the E53 is a 8 out of 10 and my old 1995 525 was a 9 out of 10. The 525 still had the most telepathic steering of any BMW I've had, and I've had a few.

If I have any small disappointment, it's probably the dashboard and the dashboard lighting at night. The E53 has a beautiful instrument cluster with the gas and temperature separate to the right and left of the speed/tach. On the E70 there's something compressed and busy having just the speed and tach together with a very small area between for the milage, outside temperature, etc. I see the new 5 and 7 Series are going back to a a look much more similar to the E53 and E34 5 Series, etc. (Plus, the volume and other control buttons on the steering wheel are not nearly as well lit, even with the rheostat all the way up.) But the interior is a nice place to be, all in all. Just not quite as nice at night.

Beyond those quibbles, I'm thrilled. I'm just so happy the steering and handling is not a letdown. And I'm looking forward to much better fuel economy.
Hey fixr, I had a 525 too -- cool! I found the steering more responsive on that too, but it had a standard xmission, so the overall feel of that car was different. A hoot to drive.

I agree with what you're saying about the instrument cluster. I liked the "lots of computer information across the bottom" approach better on the E53 compared to the "squish it all in a triangle" approach on the E70. I wonder if they changed it because they had to replace too many of the computer displays in the E53 (mine had to be replaced twice and was already missing a row a pixels when I traded it in). The one thing I do like about the E70s is the visual indication of the cruise speed. [Where the cruise stalk is on the other hand is a nightmare! I have flashed so many other cars instead of reducing my cruise speed its ridiculous!]

For fuel economy? Since you're coming out of a 4.4, I'm sure it should be better all around. Also, if you do mostly highway driving, it should be quite a bit better. But if you've seen my previous posts, I only average about 17 because I usually only drive in <10 mile bursts. I averaged 14-17 in my E53 with the same driving. With the 22gal tank vs 24 in the E53, my range isn't too terribly different in town. I find that very disappointing. However, in a recent trip to San Antonio, I filled up just before I left, and then again just when I got there; I got 25.4 mpg on that ~100 mile stretch. Woo hoo!