View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Hey fixr, I had a 525 too -- cool! I found the steering more responsive on that too, but it had a standard xmission, so the overall feel of that car was different. A hoot to drive.

I agree with what you're saying about the instrument cluster. I liked the "lots of computer information across the bottom" approach better on the E53 compared to the "squish it all in a triangle" approach on the E70. I wonder if they changed it because they had to replace too many of the computer displays in the E53 (mine had to be replaced twice and was already missing a row a pixels when I traded it in). The one thing I do like about the E70s is the visual indication of the cruise speed. [Where the cruise stalk is on the other hand is a nightmare! I have flashed so many other cars instead of reducing my cruise speed its ridiculous!]

For fuel economy? Since you're coming out of a 4.4, I'm sure it should be better all around. Also, if you do mostly highway driving, it should be quite a bit better. But if you've seen my previous posts, I only average about 17 because I usually only drive in <10 mile bursts. I averaged 14-17 in my E53 with the same driving. With the 22gal tank vs 24 in the E53, my range isn't too terribly different in town. I find that very disappointing. However, in a recent trip to San Antonio, I filled up just before I left, and then again just when I got there; I got 25.4 mpg on that ~100 mile stretch. Woo hoo!
Hey Barb,

It's interesting about the instrument panels on most of the cars from the mid-2000's. The 3, 5 and 7 all had that same look; much flatter and less diver oriented than prior. I thought them a step back. In addition to the E53, the interior/dashboard layout of our E34/3 Series convertible seems much nicer than the current 3 series. I am thrilled that they are going back to the earlier layout/look and feel on the new models. Whoever was in charge of interior design is most likely gone I'll bet, because that severe look and feel is gone. I'll bet the new X5 in a couple of years will mirror the new look as well. I find the new speedometer to be so busy. Lots of stuff printed on there and you look at it on a continuing basis every time you are driving. Oh, well, lots of other nice things to enjoy instead. Rob