View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
How E39 owners save money

This is more for owners who are NOT wealthy but are some how blessed to be able to maintain a e39, I know the oldies may look at this like "tell me something I didn't know".

I bought my E39 2003 530i in July 2007 with 95,000 miles and today have 135,000. I have replaced the following

oil housing
oil pan gasket
spark plugs
ccv
all belts twice,
water pump,
spark plugs
pisa valve failed in engine clicked gave CEL and was replaced
thermostat,
alternator,
battery,
brakes,
power steering hoses,
thrust arm bushings,
control arms,
tie rods
pullies,
radiator, reservoir and cap, hoses
faulty alarm,
tires,
sealed vapor barrier,
cluster from ebay (matched vin in ike),
welded exhaust console hanger above front sway bar
windshield
windshield washer jet
sway bar links
upper radiator hose
metal bleed screws
fuel filter

Truth= there is no shortcut to maintaining a high performance vehicle but there is a shortcut to saving money...here are a couple of examples

BMW of manhattan wanted $1250 to give me a new uncoded cluster. I paid $250 total for an M5 cluster and pasoft software with no dead pixels on ebay that I coded myself.

BMW of manhattan wanted $450 to replace the fuel filter I paid $75 total $55 for fuel filter from autohasaz and $20 labor at the indy

BMW of manhattan wanted $200 for a sway bar link...$26 at autohasaz easy diy

BMW of manhattan wanted $650 for a new radiator ...$140 at autohasaz, easy diy

BMW of manhattan wanted you don't even want to know how much for a battery and an alternator...$120 for a battery in autozone in delaware 2 years ago $400 for tow to indy alternator two years ago

Diagnose yourself, research and buy parts you know are better but cost less yourself, if you can't fix it yourself, then pay a independent shop you trust and can go back to and hold responsible if need be. Also some bmw parts don't even last longer than aftermarkets for example BMW vanos seals are barely going 9,000 miles, besians seals are built to go 50k or more. BMW won't let you take better after market parts to them to install for you, they rather install their own parts some of which are known to fail much more quickly. If you buy the parts from BMW but have them installed somewhere else, then the warranty is void because they don't trust anyone else to install their parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topaz.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	243044  

Last edited by energizedmortal; 08-26-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Advertisement