View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540/6spd, 95 525iA
I have read to great lengths on this and other boards. What I have learned is that the ribbon fix is a major gamble. Unless you are very proficient with fine electronics and have a good understanding, I would stay away from a DIY.

I have been in contact with BMWUSA. Last week they offered me 50% off parts, plus labor. Others have gotten 100% off parts, but have had to pay for one hour labor (repaired through dealership). BMW tells me they are no longer offering 100% for parts. Sad thing is that the previous owner had the pixels fixed by the dealer in 03, and they are bad again. So that tells me if you send it to the dealer, it will probably happen again as they have NOT fixed the real problem. BMW offers a 2 year warranty.

http://vdorepair.com/ on the other hand will repair the pixels and offer a lifetime warranty all for around $300. For an additional $45 they will install the chrome rings offered on the M5. To me, this sounds like the way to go. They are located in California. Ship out your instrument cluster overnight, and you will get it returned 3-4 days later.

Just noticed you live in OZ, .......shipping may vary.

L.

Last edited by Luftpost; 08-23-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Update