View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335XI
First of all, drain intervals set by the manufacturer are usually extremely conservative. If BMW engineers recommend 15k miles, It's more than safe to do so. If you REALLY want to do what is right for your vehicle as far as lubrication goes, use a quality lubricant (fully synthetic goes without saying), use the proper viscosity for your driving environment, and read up on lubricants if you are really interested in selecting the best oil. Another tool available to the general public that you may not know about is used oil analysis. You want to know what drain intervals are safe in your vehicle? Have your oil analyzed at specified intervals to determine what is safe! Synthetic stock does not break down, the only problem that arises with synthetic oils is the breakdown of additives. The only way to tell for sure what condition your oil is in is by having it analyzed (unless you are a chemist capable of analyzing it yourself). Dirty oil is only an issue with clogged oil filters. This occurs when the filter bypass activates allowing debris to bypass the filter (bad news).

Note: Even if your oil is safe for continued use, that doesn't mean your oil filter is safe for continued use. I recommend changing your oil filter at 12-15k miles (the recommended interval).

The best resource to learn about lubricants I have found is www.bobistheoilguy.com check it out. Notice AMSOIL lubricants are a common conversation piece ^_- I happen to be a dealer.

Secondly, there can't be anything but a "QUICK GUIDE" to changing oil in an E36. Of all of the vehicles I have ever changed oil on, my E36 was the simplest one. Do not let others descriptions of the procedure intimidate you.

Edit: As far as oil viscosity's the two numbers represent viscosity at different temperatures (and have nothing to do with winter and summer). The lower the first number, the sooner your oil will start lubricating your engine. (I.E. a 0w-30 oil will lubricate sooner after engine start up than a 5w-30 oil. However, both oils will be the same viscosity at operating temp.)

If you have any questions I can help with, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Metzex08; 08-27-2010 at 03:45 PM.