Thread: Thrust arm
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
The thrust arm bushing can fail well before 70k miles. I had a difficult to diagnose "knock" noise in fast right hand sweepers from about 30k miles up to aroun 65k miles when I was told the bushings were "toast" and need replacement. New oem ones got rid of the knock noise. Starting around 65k additional miles, I started getting some minor vibration through the steering wheel on braking from freeway speeds. An inspection found only a very slight crack in the bushing on the driver's side. Hardly worth replacing, but I went ahead and replaced them (along with control arms and center/left and right tie rods) using the upgraded Lemforder complete arms from EAC Tuning that have the solid rubber thrust bushings from Meyle installed. Amazingly, no more vibration on braking...so even a very minor amount of cracking on the bushing can be a source for vibration on braking.

Just an FYI.

BTW, I am not sure how long the Meyle will truly last, as I am not aware of anyone running them way out past 75k miles to verify durability...but the cost is not that much more, and I did not notice any difference in "harshness" over oem. I am told you definitely do not want to get polyurethane bushings. Many instances of not only harshness, but issues with them failing way sooner than oem even....like less than 10 or 15k miles. One other "trick" I am told is you can use X5 bushings in place of oem, which presumably will last longer....but now that Meyle has the solid bushing, that is probably the better alternative.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 08-28-2010 at 12:45 PM.