Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Loud rubbing roar noise
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 25,236
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
see what a worn CSB looks ... the guibo is number 2
CSB? Guibo?

Looking in the E39 glossary, I find no mention of "csb" or "guibo".

Searching the net, I find CSB is either the "Center Shaft Bearing" or the "Center Support Bushing" depending on which reference you read. Do you know which one it is?

Searching s'more, I find guibo actually is giubo misspelled, so I hopefully return to the BMW glossary (which I unofficially am trying to accurately maintain) only to find, much to my chagrin, neither term described.

Here's the definition in Wikipedia:
A giubo (pronounced JEW-boh), also known as a flex disc,[1] and commonly misspelled as guibo, is a connection found between the drive shaft and the companion flange on most mechanical devices utilizing a drive shaft in mechanical operation. The giubo itself is a flexible rubberized, or other non conductive vibration damping material, disc coupling used to reduce driveline vibration and keep electrical currents from flowing between the engine and the shaft.

Giubo is a contraction of the Italian word giunto ('joint') and Boschi-the surname of the engineer who first designed the first flex disc around the turn of the 20th Century, who eventually founded GIUBO SpA, a company solely dedicated to manufacturing flex discs.[2]
See also


  1. ^
  2. ^ "Giubo spelling and pronunciation". Alfa Romeo Owners' Club digest. 2003-06-17. Retrieved 200-04-27.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Giubo_BMW_E30.jpg
Views:	20351
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	244102  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-30-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote