View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw e30
Read this if you have starting issues....

Greetings to all. I have a 1986 e30 that I bought about a year ago. The car is awesome but up until last week gave me starting issues. Since I bought it, it would start some times and then not start other times. Everyone told me it was the starter, even though the guy I bought it from said he put in a new starter 8 months prior to selling it to me. So I replaced the starter. Problem not solved. I then ran a bypass switch to the starter to be able to start it when the car decided not to start with the turn of the key. Then people told me it needed a new ignition switch. I was told it would cost around $ 500.00 to replace. I decided to drive it and use the bypass to jump start it for a while. It then occurred to me that the car might have an ignition switch relay. The problem was that I could not find it. I finally located it up under the dashboard on the drivers side. The relay switch cost me $25.00 at BMW and poof problem solved. Moral of the story. If you buy an E30 and have issues with the car starting, replace that relay first. It could save you some cash..... I hope this info helps. Cheers Yall........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	061.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	244408  

Last edited by benitoe30; 09-01-2010 at 10:05 PM.