View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530
Thrust arm bushing saga....

So, I decided to tackle the thrust bushing this weekend and collect the stuff I needed to do the job earlier in the week.

I thought I would try using the BMW press sleeves first, but when I called to check stock they were on back order - 3 weeks.

Plan B try other methods described on the forum (3 prong puller or the home depot special). I opted to build the home depot extractor, but I ran into trouble finding the 2.5" pipe and several of the other necessary parts. Home depot had steel pipe in this size, but you'd have to buy 10 feet of it. Checked around at Canadian Tire and Home Hardware for the parts, no pipe caps, sill plate or right size washers either to use the three prong puller method or home depot method.

Plan C look for other like similiar things. I measured the thrust bearing because some washers I purchased didn't fit. The thrust bearing outer steel casing is 2 1/4". Found some exhaust pieces that were the exact match and some 4x4 securing plates and came up with the following. The only thing that was easy to find was the threaded rod and bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atbearing1.JPG
Views:	2756
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	244701  

Last edited by morrisroad; 09-04-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Correction
Ads by Google