View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I think if you go to the effort of changing the fluid, you should also drop the pan and change the filter. If nothing else, you can clean the magnets in the pan, replace the filter and do a quick visual on the internals.

I also read a lot about frequency. I almost have 71k on my X3 now. I will try and change it this fall but worse case in the spring. I just did a quick look-over on the X3 in preparation for the Inspection II and the entire vehicle looks very tight as far as leaks and all the rubber boots and the drive belt look in excellent shape. Rotated my tires also and checked the brakes. They will probably go to 100k miles (they were changed under warranty which helped a lot)!
I won't disagree that this is the preferred method. It also gives you a good opportunity to check the magnet to see the level of metal shavings. I guess I'm taking a shortcut by just changing the fluid but it's a lot easier just to loosen two plugs than to remove all the pan bolts, buy a new gasket, and risk leakage when retorqueing bolts to the pan.

I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm just not sure the benefit outweighs the risk if the tranny fluid is changed on a regular basis.