View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Dr Jim & his Bim

Mein Auto: BMW 323i 1999 2004 X3 2.1
This has been a fun read. But I need a lot more than oil info. I just bought a well used and beat up 1999 323i convertible. 145000 rough miles –body needs much TLC –interior –yeeks! I'm 65 years old-I used to know a lot about cars. Back in '63' I actually did a little drag racing (Hudson Jet flat head 6 and Plymouth Valiant slant 6). Many years latter I'm in my second childhood and only my third sports car. (Wish I had kept the MG Midget and the Mazda RX7 ) Still have the big 4 wheel D Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and my wife drives the Bimmer X3. I bought the 323i as a project/play car and plan on doing all my own work again. I opened the hood and of course I'm still trying find the spark plugs and the carburetor
To be serious I need to gain some insight into the new systems ODC and more of the tech stuff. The question is multifold; where and what manuals information should I be trying to find? I obviously do not have access to the BMW tech bulletins or service manuals - Are the old Hayes Manuals of any use? Where do I find more about just what I have in the way of engine –etc? I think from what I have read so far I have a E36 ? But what is that?
I don't expect answers here but direction as to where to find the answers would be helpful-I'll sit back and hopefully get an eye full.
If all else fails anyone out there know a GOOD BMW mechanic in Rhode Island area –I said good not "Inskip Motors Inc"

Dr. Jim

Last edited by jpmcguire; 09-12-2010 at 06:13 AM.