View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Well, isn't that just beautiful.

That is exactly what I said about Akebono a couple of years ago. That they are worthless in cold weather. But of course, the hype on the Bonos was so hip, nobody wanted to listen. And as a result, you are now going back to the trusted ugly dusty OEM.

Get yourself the Axxis. Just because Akebono sucks, doesn't mean everything else sucks.

mw
I had Akebonos on my other car since April, so experience is limited to spring/summer. I didn't even like their toothless bite in these warm months. They seemed "good enough" for 99.99% of all braking situations, but I pulled them out because my anxiety centers on the rare and unforeseeable panic stop. Plus I have kids driving (not the 528i tho'). I don't "track" and probably will never be worried about fade from heavy-use situations (the rare mountain pass downhill?). These cars are daily drivers on streets with a lot of unknowns. Panic stops could happen any instant. It has gotten worse here in Oregon the past few years, what with all the Californians fleeing that state.

I have good semi-metallics on both my cars now and don't worry about -my- stopping ability but I still worry what other cars around me are running. I kinda hope the car behind me in congested traffic has quick-biting brakes that can compensate for slow driver reaction times.