View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to manticore33
Mein Auto: '86 Porsche 951, '01 530i
Sorry to hear that bluebee (I thought about doing CN90s rebuild, but I needed the car ASAP). Being in Central Ohio I am lucky with quick shipping from the any of the coasts (UPS/Fedex have distribution facilities here) and major part-chain warehouses are nearby. There is also Napa warehouse about 15 miles from my home and literally the Delaware Distribution Center for Advance Auto Parts and Jeg's are in my back yard (not that I shop at Jeg's). For local Napa or Advance Auto Parts stuff, I can get it same day warehouse pulls duing normal business hours. Oh, and I am friends with both of the Delaware location's of Advance Auto Part store's managers so special pulls and price matching are not a problem.

Online stuff is 3-5 days max.

Indy's pay the core charge and get the core charge refunded when they return the part. The actual cost of the part they charge is likely list. Go into an auto parts store and you will see a two costs. The list price is typically what the shop charges the consumer after performing the repair. So, when you are using a shop they make their margins on the list price of parts and book time. A lot of part stores will deliver the parts to the mechanic and pick any returns and cores and have less than retail discounts too. For instance AAP might sell brake pads to a shop for $13, charge a consumer $30, and list might be $45. If you look at the mechanics invoice for the service work the person having the work done would be charged $45 for pads, 1.5 hours book time (even if only took 40 minutes to do), then other materials.

Last edited by manticore33; 09-15-2010 at 10:10 AM.