View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 95 740i
Question DTC 210?!?! Transmission swap problems

Hey Guys, Im quiting the autorepair business because of this situation I have.
At my Repair Shop, Were working on a 95 740i 4.0 BMW. It Came in with a Slipping Transmission Problem. I had both of my technicians drive it, and it was bad. The local dealership didnt have much access to new/reman units, and for the time it would have taken to get one and the cost (more than than the book value of the car), I decided to go down the used route. Ive had alot of good experiences going to LKQ Keystone, they issue good quality, well warranties parts. Through car-part.com, the best mileage on a unit I could find was around 90K. I ordered it. Now obviously they have to drain any fluids from that type of a unit before shipping. The stock fluid is the Esso 71141, and after doing research on other ATF that meet the spec, I thought Id be safe and spend $50.00 a liter (WHOA?!!?) from my local dealership and do things by the book. I had my Euro/BMW certified tech remove and install this thing by the book. 5HP30 to a 5HP30. We made sure to match the ID on the Trany Unit itself. After everything was completed and checked. The tech took it out for a test drive. Was fine for about 10-15 miles. Then as far as i can see, "Trans Program" came onto the message center on the Dash, and the car went into safe mode. First we checked the dtc system through manual entry with the gas pedal, and came up with no codes. We then Scanned the Car with the BMW Scanner a friend of mine in the business had. This is what came up.

Engine Codes through PCM:

210 CAN Interface, Gearbox/Transmission Intervention Version DME

ABS Codes through ABS Module:

24 seat-belt lock, driver's side
25 seat-belt lock, passenger's side
17 power supply failure

Transmission Codes through TCM:

"Communication Not Available"

At this Point, we didnt have access to the scanner, and had some kind of electric diagrams/computer pin charts to go by (not very accurate). We checked the wire harnesses for the TCM and the PCM, they looked fine. Both Units seemed to be getting power (although we could measure to spec without the spec measurements). Ive made ALOT of phone calls and done alot of research. I dont know if the existing computer is not communication with the PCM properly, I dont know if it has a bad torque converter, I dont know if the existing computer needs to be flashed or reprogrammed to the new serial of the new transmission (even though the model numbers match, the serial/electronic ID may not). I dont know. Ive been told from a few people that if there is a code coming up with the PCM, it would in fact make the car go into safe mode. But I have found NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER on PCM Code 210. I dont know what to do. Please Help me. Anyone with experience/with Good Advice would be So Very Greatly Appreciated.
Advertisement