Thread: disposition fee
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
But the beauty of leasing is that it takes all the guesswork out at the end of the term. You don't have to worry that the car you fell in love with in 2008 is no longer desirable, and you don't have to haggle over trade-in price (or worse, deal with the tire kickers if you sell the car privately).

And of course the downside of leasing is that it is a fairly complex transaction, and a whole lot of folks get fleeced by entering into it without a full understanding of how it works.
Agree totally! Leasing is actually very attractive and desirable, IF you understand how a lease works and what your payment is made up of. You know up front and the terms and costs of the lease (before you even have to sign). Sure, in 24/36/48 months things could change, but at least you know of of the gate how the deal looks form both sidesl. I think too many people get into leases to drive cars they cant really afford - IMHO. Leasing is complicated, but actually straight forward if you do you homework and understand the numbers and how they effect things. It is NOT the dealers job to educate the buyer on leasing (nor straight financing) and its principals. Their job is to present you the contract, which discloses all fees, etc.... that make up your payment. To many folks only look at the down payment and monthly payment and are thrilled that they can get x car for that payment and sign without really understanding the gross cost for the term and if they could have gotten it for less. That's totally the fault of the buyer. These are the folks that dealers usually make their money on, which is fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
I sure like to stay clear of the lease for all the reasons stated above. You pay to borrow the car and pay to run it and then pay to return it.
Ohhhhh did I forget to say you pay for what you get?
Very true. You DO get what you pay for. Sadly, in terms of leasing and other financial dealings full disclosure still isn't enough.