View Single Post
  #68  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:03 AM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,234
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
An example of the world's worst trunk loom re-wiring job (gory pictures)

Well I finally got tired of the trunk not opening from the key remote or by hand (it would only open with the key itself); and I gathered enuf' courage to tackle the wiring job myself.

The results are decidedly NOT PRETTY. Get ready to close your eyes and tuck the young children under your arms if you dare to read on any further. I'm sure this is a pretty good lesson in what not to do, but, alas, it's done, and it's working.

First thing was I bought a few packs of rather expensive (for what it is) heat shrink tubing. Turns out all that variety was a waste. The only size I used was 3/32" (but nobody told me that ahead of time so I'm telling it to you now).


The next thing I bought was flux and solder and I used a block of wood the floor guys left after fixing my bamboo floors (long story) as a table underneath the wiring loom. I gathered up some spare wire, but it turned out to be huge in diameter compared to the original wire; but I went with it anyway (figuring bigger is better). Dunno if that was a mistake or not.


I'm not the best at soldering but I bought a soldering iron and the guy who sold it to me at Fryes (which is an amazing place ... it's a supermarket for electronic stuff) told me to heat the metal, not the solder. Yeah, fat chance. Anyway, here's me attempting to heat the metal so that the solder would flow on the wires. In the end, I would mostly heat the solder so that the solder would flow on the wires. (I did say this isn't the best example didn't I?)


For each of the many broken wires, I added about six inches of wire, which was probably about four or five inches too much. Again, I didn't say follow me; I'm just telling you what I did. Notice I had to break a couple of wires because (duh) I didn't think about putting the heat-shrink tubing on FIRST before making the final connection. Also notice I didn't follow any color-coding scheme whatsoever. I just connected like colors, hoping that all the browns truly were ground as I couldn't tell them apart.



At this point, I had the bright idea of trying out that liquid electrical tape stuff. So I splashed that stuff on everywhere, especially in the many spots where the insulation was just cracked but the wire hadn't separated yet. This wiring job was getting uglier and uglier by the moment.



Because it was so goopy, I let the brush-on electrical tape dry overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0412.resized.JPG
Views:	2706
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	247667   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0387.resized.JPG
Views:	4723
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	247668   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0381.resized.JPG
Views:	18051
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	247669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0372.resized.JPG
Views:	3039
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	247670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0357.resized.JPG
Views:	2982
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	247671  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0362.resized.JPG
Views:	3007
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	247672   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0364.resized.JPG
Views:	3080
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	247673   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0377.resized.JPG
Views:	2975
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	247674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0393.resized.JPG
Views:	2712
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	247675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0399.resized.JPG
Views:	3069
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	247676  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0411.resized.JPG
Views:	3817
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	247677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0417.resized.JPG
Views:	2753
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	247678  
Reply With Quote