View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
I don't have an account for either product when used from the can as directed. However, from first-hand experience breaking down an M30 motor, I can't determine how much benefit that style of treatment would be for our in-line six package.

The lion's share of engine contamination was a thick, filthy coating along the entire inner surface of the intake manifold with significant buildup near, but not on, the injector pintle caps. This was all from crankcase emission recovery. I had the manifold cleaned ultrasonically.

The other mess was a very stubborn crusty desposit that had built up on the piston crowns and around the valve seats. With the head removed, the pistons were soaked with GM top-end cleaner over night, and the heads scraped with an old credit card and touched-up with Amrep carb cleaner.

As to be expected, I don't see either of these products attaining this level of cleanliness without removing specific components. I've never done the "soak-from-a-can" process because frankly I've never owned a vehicle that ran crappy enough to warrant it's use without requiring some other form of major maintenance. I had awesome results with the top-end cleaner, but I was clearly not using the product as directed. Sea Foam and especially the GM top-end cleaner do have a solid lineage of good press none the less.

P.S.- The last pic is of the #1 and #2 piston tops. #1 was clean, and yes, #2 is so contaminated you can't even see it in the picture from the exposure. All of the cylinders were like this. The engine would ping quite a bit during full throttle roll-ons. I could clearly see why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning1.1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	247783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning1.2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	247784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	247785  

Last edited by Radian; 09-25-2010 at 08:56 PM.