09-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
This is the list of cooling overhaul for my 1998 528i. This is what I paid in 2006. With current pricing, no way it is less than $650.
Originally Posted by ozzM3
Depends what and where to buy - you can do it cheaper.
1. BMW Dealer:
Thermostat Plastic Housing.
PN 11531740478 $28.00
* Behr Thermostat 88 deg C (factory is 92 deg C, I just want something a bit cooler). Now the temp sits just a bit LEFT of 12 o’clock when warmed up.
PN 11531721002 $17.00
* Radiator Hoses (Upper and Lower): $9 and $7
* AC belt 5PK0906 $9
* WP-Alt-PS belt 6PK1560 $13
* Rollers x 2 PN 11281748131 $17/each
(for AC belt and for between Crank and WP Pulleys)
* Idler Roller PN 11281738605 $23/each
(this sits between WP and Alternator Pulleys)
* Hydraulic Tensioner PN 11281717210 $39/each
(for AC belt)
* Hydraulic Tensioner PN 11281717188 $50/each
(for Roller between Crank and WP Pulleys)
* Coolant Reservoir "Mounting Clip" PN 17111723580 $2.20/each
* Fan Clutch by "Sachs" PN 11521719269 $94/each
* Fan Blades by "BMW"” PN 11521712058 $45/each
* Radiator by "Nissens" PN 17111702969 $173/each
(many people think this is better than Behr Radiator)
* Bypass Hose from Radiator to Reservoir PN 17111427156 $5.60/each
* Coolant Vent Screw PN 17111712788 $2.80/each
* Reservoir Cap PN 17111712669 $10.60/each
* Reservoir by OEM PN 17111723520 $56/each
* Water Pump by "Hepu" PN 11511740241 $67/each
(supplied with O-ring. After some research, "Hepu" Brand seems to be better than "Graf" or "Geba" (Graf and Geba seems to have leakage after 20-30K miles but I am not sure). The Volvo folks love Hepu Water Pump so I go with "Hepu".