View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by melor View Post
Mike, your article was a great read. Thanks. I do have a question. You mention that with the 5 series tending towards more luxury and less sport compared to the prior 5, that there is an opportunity for more sporting cars in this size class to pull from the 5 market.

"The remaining question is whether this change in focus will let enough light through the 5 Series' stifling canopy for more sporting competitors to grab a foothold."

What cars do you feel fill that niche? Are they available now, or are you speculating that competition might head that direction. I ask because while the direction that BMW is heading seems away from sporting with the new 5, I cannot think of a more sporting alternative...

To be honest, I am 48, and the 5 series seems like just the right amount of pampering and performance... While I love the way my 335 coupe hustles when I want go-fast, the bounce and jitters that I endure during a non-sporting sprint are starting to rattle my rapidly aging frame.

Thanks again for a great review. Just the type of information I am seeking. I hope you get the opportunity to take a 550 with the m-sport package and a sport transmission on a similar ride to give a comparative report. It happens that a 550 with the m-sport option is the car I have my eye on...

Paul
Great question.

Truth is, the Mercedes-Benz E550 is quite solid. It's not everyone's cup of tea (not really mine either), but fitted with the Sport Package, it will give the 550i a run for its money on public roads. (I drove the 2011 E63 AMG the other day on the track, and I was very impressed.)

Also, keep in mind the Porsche Panamera V6 starts in the mid-$70s. It only seats four, but it is much more comfortable than a 5 Series (for those four), very sporty and more prestigous. It will run circles around many smaller sports cars. I spent several days with the Panamera V6 in Germany on the Autobahn earlier this year - it can fly.

That said, for <$70,000, I'd get a 550i Sport. However, if you start adding up the options and you find yourself >$70,000... go for the Panamera.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!

Last edited by Emission; 10-01-2010 at 09:29 PM.