View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSF
I am thinking about swapping my head unit out for the new Business CD one. If I were to do this, I would prefer to get the newer 2003 version with the aux in.

Here's my question. Based on looking at the instructions for installing the aux in kit, it looks like the wiring harness on the back of the radio is different than the pre-2003 units. Is it possible to retrofit this newer head unit?

Also, any idea on how much the CD player costs?

Tyrone, are you around? I know you are the master of all e39 retro-fits, maybe you can help?

Thanks in advance, DK.
Gee, thanks! But I can only hold that title while SVTWEB is away ;-) You're in luck because BMW has adapters for putting the new generation (NG) radios in the older cars. Here's what you'll need:

adapter cable, radio 61 12 6 913 957
antenna adapter tubing 61 12 6 913 955
adapter cable, CD changer 61 12 6 913 954 (if applicable)

The new radio units are expensive at around $820 due to a $400 or $500 core. Unfortunately, core is only refundable through Warren T. as far as I know, so you're stuck buying it outright.

Or I suppose you could visit your nearest unfriendly dealer and perform an innocent "switcharoo" while checking out the interior of any remaining E39s. Remember to bring tools!