View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
K1300GT Final Drive Oil Change

I just got my October 2010 issue of BMW Owners News . . . and read the EIGHT PAGE (with pictures) article on how to change the oil in a K1300GT final drive. Seriously?! Eight pages? Do you really have to remove the muffler, the rear tire, and the rear brake caliper just to change the FD oil? The author describes the procedure as "very straight-forward and easy to do". Really? Apparently, the K1300 FD design was improved from the K1200, because you no longer have to disconnect the FD from the driveshaft to change the oil.

Here is the "straight-forward and easy to do" procedure for changing the FD oil in my R1100RS:
1. Put bike on centerstand.
2. Remove female allen fill plug.
3. Remove hex-head drain plug.
4. Let old oil drain out.
5. Replace hex-head drain plug.
6. Fill with new oil up to base of fill hole.
7. Replace female allen fill plug.
8. Take the bike out for a ride.

The procedure is essentially the same for my K75S and my R90S.

I'm guessing that K1300GT owners will change their FD oil when they change their rear tire so they can minimize rear-end dismantlings. At least BMW provided them with a drain plug, which is more than the current BMW car owners get.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 10-06-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Advertisement