View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
KarlB - Wait until you see the pics in the October issue. Apparently the dismantling is required because the fill plug hides behind the rear wheel and the drain plug is located directly ABOVE the rear caliper.

Yes, I agree that the lack of a drain plug in the K1200 was probably due to the "lifetime" fill, and BMW probably later decided that maybe you do need to change the lifetime fill once in awhile to prevent premature FD failures, so they added a drain plug to the K1300 FD. Unfortunately for owners, the fill and drain plugs do not appear to be in easily accessible locations as they used to be. Hopefully, this design was not driven by cosmetic reasons.

Now that BMW cars have lifetime fills in the differentials and no drain plugs, I wonder what the "lifetime" of the differentials will be.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).