View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
Look, that is not a logical argument. If you have a disagreement with my opinion that is fine. Just state your reasoning and I will either agree with you or tell you why I disagree with you. I have every right to disagree with any reviewer so long as I have reason to. None of these reviewers in C&D or Consumer's Reports or Winding Road have made any sense becaust they are not testing the proper car.

Did you get DHP, sport package, and the sport transmission? If so, then we have the same car and you and I can compare our opinions. If not, then we are talking about apples and oranges. These reviewers are making generalizations about BMW based upon one car that is not fully equipped for the enthusiast. The reviewers are severely limited in their opinions because in the case of C&D and Winding Road they are stuck with the one car given to them to review. In the case of Consumer's Reports they buy the car from a dealer. They do not buy a fully equipped enthusiast's car and then make generalizations which by their very nature cannot be accurate.

I am not making a "rationalization" I am making a logical analysis based upon the information at hand. Of course, the base car drives "like a Lexus", that's what it's supposed to do. But to say that BMW does not also make a car that drives like a BMW is completely and totally dishonest and misleading. These guys have to write something so rather than admit their limitations they make absurd generalizations which are based on extremely limited information at best, and downright dishonesty at worst. So, someone has to stand up and give some counterbalance to their nonsense. Sorry, if you don't agree with me. But no one here has driven these cars fully equipped, not the magazine reviewers or anyone on this website. Period.
That's a convenient excuse - they're reviewing a car with the options most people will end up buying. In the past, this never moved a BMW into Lexus-land, no base BMW has ever driven like a Lexus (or been supposed to!). And the numb steering feel hasn't been fixed by any add-on package according to any independent reviewer (or anybody unbiased on these boards). I test drove the 550i with IAS and full suspension packages, and the steering was extremely numb compared to my base, non-sport, 530i.

Nitpick the review all you want, they're echoing what a lot of enthusiasts on here have been saying.

Last edited by Newmanium; 10-19-2010 at 07:50 PM.