View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche C4S
I have not yet driven the same car that Rich has....a 550 ix with all the performance/sport options. I have one coming with the Msport package, sport transmission, etc. That's the same as Rich's, I believe. As soon as I have a chance to drive it properly (once the brake-in period is over), I will post a review. But no one can dismiss the experts (C&D, etc) who are normally total BMW fans. They are truly capable of reviewing cars objectively, and while they may not "get" the controls, as those take some time to learn, they can certainly "get" the driveability - they do that day in and day out, and they do it with all the new cars they drive.

When I considered selling my 993 and buying the 997, I heard all of the criticisms of the "cushy" new Porsche 997 vs. 993. But I started to drive the 997 with an open mind. The 997 drives entirely differently, but it's still a driver's car. Fantastic engine and suspension, amazing steering, like you're on a rail. More comfortable and larger than the 993, little more planted, less "squirrely". A true improvement (though some consider me a traitor, abandoning the last air cooled Porsche). If the F10 is a comparable improvement/ compromise over the M5 (yes, I am aware of the apple-to-apple comparison flaw), or maybe the "straight" E39, I will be thrilled, even if the performance is enhanced by electronic gismos.