View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Sorry I didn't answer your PM - been busy. It has been a while since I have used DIS (thankfully I haven't had a reason to )... I still have the laptop sitting in my garage with it installed but haven't touched it in a while . Getting DIS working is quite involved requiring multiple steps to build out the VMWARE image and get the software on the host machine. DIS communicates over the network, so you need to setup the IP addresses appropriately and install a diagnostic head emulator that listens on the host machine. You also need INPA/EDIABAS installed on the host so that the daig head emulator can talk to your controller/interface. It's pretty involved and I don't have a step by step guide handy. Getting all the pieces together will take some effort (took me a couple days mainly just getting all the pieces, searching, and gathering info) - www.bmwecu.org used to have a FAQ on their site with step-by-step screenshots, but I can't seem to find it anymore. A quick search and I found this site that outlines the general steps but it leaves out a lot of it - it's a definite pain and not really worth it in my opinion unless you have a bunch of BMWs to fix and/or plan on doing some major module replacement (even then, if you want to reprogram the modules, DIS can't do that, you need another system called SSS which runs in a Windows environment): http://www.ow.no/index.php?option=co...=115&Itemid=13

I'd definitely recommend using INPA for the purpose of registering the battery.