View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
The debate about torque wrenches is very easy to resolve.....professionals use torque wrenches, hacks don't.

I don't care how long you've turned wrenches, there is no way you are going to "guess" torque correctly. The 5:30 - 7:00 method? That's great if it works for you but how close are you with your torque? I'll bet you're further off than you think!

I've turned wrenches for close to fifty years now.....torque specs are developed for a reason....not only does the torque ensure the fastener is tight enough but the torque specs also allow for heat/cold expansion/retraction.

You may be able to get by with not torqueing fasteners on these "little" engines/transmissions but see how long your career lasts (and the machine you're working on) when you're dealing with engines costing $750k and more and transmissions costing upwards of $500k.

The use of a good quality, calibrated torque wrench will ensure proper fastening and will not break bolts. In my experience, most people don't use torque wrenches properly either....once the wrench "clicks" they continue to turn and ultimately break a bolt.

Me? I'll continue to torque AND I have my torque wrenches calibrated regularly.

Last edited by Fleetman; 10-28-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: wasn't finished!