View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
The debate about torque wrenches is very easy to resolve.....professionals use torque wrenches, hacks don't.

I don't care how long you've turned wrenches, there is no way you are going to "guess" torque correctly. The 5:30 - 7:00 method? That's great if it works for you but how close are you with your torque? I'll bet you're further off than you think!
I guess I am a Hack then hehe!

Well, many many professional mechanics (that I know) do not use Torque wrenches for simple jobs like oil changes etc because it wastes their time.
They use Torque wrenches only for critical jobs such as engine rebuilding, small nuts and bolts on the Valve Cover, Water Pump, i.e., the nuts and bolts that are easy to strip.

The 5:30 - 7:00 method was confirmed by myself using a Torque Wrench. I mark the nuts/bolts, and make note of what 30-35Nm turns the nut/bolt and noticed that the 5:30 - 7:00 method works well to achieve 30-35Nm. I did NOT mention The 5:30 - 7:00 thingy out of the blue!

PS: I have a high quality Torque Wrench that I use all the time. The problem with oil change at home for us DIYers is that: the car is on ramps and the ground clearance is not much, and using a Torque Wrench in such situation is very difficult.
Another place where it is very difficult to use Torque Wrench is the brake caliper bolts.

Last edited by cn90; 10-28-2010 at 10:08 AM.