View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
bang or pop

I read through the initial post on this and did not find what I was looking for. I will read the entire post but thought I would try this also. I purchased a 1997 328is for a daily driver and my son to use a D/E events. Since the car was 12 plus years old when we got it, I knew we would be fixing/upgrading as we found things out. I went down to CMP this weekend and only put in two laps. Under hard cornering I would get a bang from the rear. It would only happen once and then no noise or steering issues that I could feel. I would say that it is near max lateral or g force in the turn. Rather than risk any damage I called it a day and proceeded to see if I could find the issue. I have the rear interior out of the car so you get a pretty good feeling of where the sound comes from. Left rear between the dif and the hub. I just had my end links replaced. They were seized up and we thought that was the culprit. After removing the rear wheel we check for bearing play and found none. The consensus was the the bushings may need replacing. I am sure they are all original. I crawled around underneath today and didn't find anything else that I could see. Since it is almost impossible to tell if the bushing is shot without dropping the rear end I am going to start with the assumption that it is. Any help is appreciated!
Jay