Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Wow 100 Z4's sold in September
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
zhan zhan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mainline, PA
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 305
Mein Auto: Dinan S M3, Evolve M5, X3
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post
I'm not impressed by the low sales of the Z4 - One could ask:
1. Is it just the economy?
2. Nobody likes 2 seater sports cars?
3. The design & workmenship are no good?
4. Maybe the price is too high?

Ummm lets see:
Q.1. Yes unemployemnt is about 10%, but that still leaves 90% employed.
Q. 2 A roadster is a classic combination, I hardly think people are down on two seaters.
Q.3 The new Z4 is probably the best designed and highest tech of any roadster on the market today.
Q. 4. Well what about price - well I was rather shocked when I walked into my local dealer's showroom - before me sat a 335i vert price $65,000 next to it was a loaded Z4 335 price $63,000. Now granted the twin turbo is a go fast fun engine but why the high cost? I thought my 06 Z4 was pricy at $42,000 - that looks like a steal compared to the new pricing.

I doubt BMW will be reducing prices so I would'nt be surprized to see the Z4 dropped from the lineup. It's really a shame too cause look at how popular the Z3 used to be - it had a good price and was a blast to drive. I'm just say'n
A: 10% unemployed and 90% employed is correct. but is the 90% placed in proper jobs? or are they busting their ass flipping burgers at burger king? a lot of people went from 100k jobs to like 35k jobs. standard of living decrease!

A: 2 seaters are considered niche cars because they are not quite usable for daily use. when you dont have money to swing for a 2nd car, you aint getting a 2 seater unless you are between the ages of 17-25 and no responsibilities (me )

A: design is not bad, worksman ship sucks. I dont like my z4 because the quality of american made is clearly inferior to german and austrian made bmws such as the m3.

A: price sucks too. you can get an m3 for the same price of a new z43.5is. well if you have to choose, then m3 coupe is an easy choice for the majority of the people looking for performance.
the old z4 price point was perfect, that was why they sold so many of them. you can pick up the base model for the price of a Honda S2000!
also the old z4 lease rate was ridiculously low, you could get a regular z4 3.0 for $350 a month with very low down payments!

Reply With Quote