View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X6 35i
Fall isn't a bad time to buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaCollect View Post
With the "Holiday Cash" promotion going on, now would seem to be the absolute BEST time to buy an X5. BUt then is it? With the X5 currently available at $500 to $1000 over invoice AND the added bonus of the promotional cash ($2500), will the spring 2012 dealer price be able to compete? Will a dealer be selling it at $1500 UNDER invoice??

Just curious...anyone tracked the pricing in previous years??
VC,

I wrestled with the same question before ordering my X6. I'm was in no rush to buy a new car. I have an C320 with 64K miles that I'll probably keep. So, I would have waited if I would likely get better pricing in a few months.

My pros of waiting:
- X6 LCI is due in '12, so there may be discounts on MY11's in late spring, and the LCI may have LED angel eyes
- I'm not bullish on the economy, if the global economy continues to grow slowly (or stagnate), there will be downward pressure on luxury vehicle prices

My cons of waiting a few months:
- Holiday discount - no evidence of BMW offering similar sized discounts to consumers during other times of the year
- Dealers were very willing to negotiate from invoice (maybe trying to pull sales into 2010?)
- Historically, there are quite a few good days to buy a car in the fall - days when most people are too busy to buy a car (eg, Halloween, Christmas Eve, Black Friday) but dealers are open for business
- X6 inventory has been pretty low (10 days on hand), so I would not expect much MY11 inventory to be on lots for dealers to discount (not sure if this is true for X5's)

I've bought 2 cars on Christmas Eve. In both cases, the sales guy wanted to get home to be with family, but didn't want to lose the deal. I was in no rush to leave, but wanted the cars at my price. Made for a great negotiation.

I decided to order now. I got a price I was happy with.

That site I mentioned in the other thread, truecar.com does a nice job calculating statistics around the best and worst days, historically, to buy a car. They define best days as the days with the highest average discount. In any case, for 2009 their December report suggested that 6 of top-10 best days to buy were in December. Link to the Dec. '09 report

In case you were going to ask, no, I don't work for or with that site. The engineer in me loves data and stats and the provide data that gets beyond the usual conjecture.

-P