View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Orower View Post
I know what you're saying about the E46 interior. There were lots of little things that I think were nice in my 2004 330i. e.g. The all around look and shape of the dash, the wood trim inserts, seats, trim/buttons around map lights, compartments below radio and a/c panel. I think a big problem I had with the E90 interior was too much "dead space". The interior was obviously wider than an E46, but instead of redesigning a nice sculpted curving dash like the E46, they just made this straight across unexciting dash. Other's, of course, may have differing opinions. That's just mine.

The interior in my 135i reminds me more of the E46. BMW certainly didn't use more expensive interior components in the 135i vs. the E90, I think the design just flows better because of the physical dimensions of the 135i cockpit.
Thanks.. what about the actual quality/solidity? For example, here are some things I've noticed on the newer cars (both e90 and 1 series)
-headlight switch feels cheaper and less substantial
-Overhead panel with light and sunroof switches looks and feels cheaper; and easily bends when pressing it
-glovebox door and handle feel less substantial
-Dash plastic looks and feels less rich more just like textured hard plastic
-Steering wheel buttons aren't curved to fit fingers and don't feel as nice to press
-headiner material looks/feels cheaper
-steering wheel height adjuster isn't as smooth or substantial.
-And one thing they share w/ the e46 is the flimsy feeling and creaking rear package shelf and celing mounted brake light cover (atleast on e90 sedan)

Lots of small things but they add up to give an impression of lower quality. I agree that the 1 interior is more e46 like in design, but something about the shape of that decorative strip that runs above the radio and glovebox just looks wrong..and the way it stops short of the passenger air vent bugs me too. I do think the door panel designs are nicer though!

I want to get over all of this because I"m getting quite bored of my old 325i and the only cars that excite me are the 135/335 (Audi the "king of interiors" bore me). So does any of this bug you in reality, and/or am I missing many of the positive aspects of the new 1/3 interiors? I know someone will say "just drive the car and don't worry about the interior"-- I agree to a certian point but when you're spending this much you want the overall experience to feel high quality.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bmw325; 11-17-2010 at 02:12 PM.