View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87 325is, 02 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Notice the broken expansion tank nipple. Even though this Behr expansion tank nipple is reinforced with a tube of metal, this broke off when I removed the hose clamp from it in order to remove it from the car.
In practice, it is very difficult to remove an old expansion tank overflow hose clamp without breaking the nipple, even though that expansion tank nipple is metal reinforced against that happenstance. If you're going to remove the expansion tank hose, you may as well assume you're going to replace the expansion tank.
This was my experience as well. The radiator in my car was replaced in July; I bought the car in August. It was only while replacing all the other parts of the cooling system (from what I learned thanks to the many contributors to this forum) when I discovered that the plastic part of the expansion tank nipple had been broken previously - I assume from the work done in July - and glued back in place. Whatever glue was used had become brittle and essentially failed, so there was a coolant seep coming from the cracked plastic on the nipple. This piece broke despite, as BB notes, the metal reinforcement tube inside the outer plastic connector. This design definitely belongs on the list of head-scratchers...

Needless to say I had to replace the expansion tank. Having not purchased one (or the cap or the bleed screw - sold separately!) before the day I had set aside for service (a Saturday) and needing to get it done that day, I had to make the trip and pay stealer prices for what I needed - easily more than double what I could have sourced the parts for elsewhere. Ouch.

So yes, definitely assume you're going to have to replace the expansion tank. I think ordering one and sending it back if it isn't needed beats the alternative I had to use.