Thread: I drove a Buick
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
I pushed my 550i xDrive today on the same winding road that I routinely drove my 540i sport package, E39 M5, and 650i sport package. What I noticed was that in sport mode and shifting the sport tranmission manually, the steering tightened up and with even with just the performance snow tires the car felt just as tight or tighter than my other cars. The feedback and precision of the steering was excellent. The car feels very different when pushed hard than it does in casual driving. So, it may feel "Buick like" in sedate driving, but it certainly feels even more sporting and BMW like than my previous BMWs when pushed hard. And I drove those BMWs every day for a total of 11 years, so I think I have a good basis of comparison, especially since it was on the same stretch of very familiar road in hard driving. It very much handled like it was "on rails". The xDrive definitely is superior in handling to RWD, it really feels like the car is "on rails". I suspect that when I get my max performance summer tires on in the Spring it will be even more so.

But the car is much more refined in normal driving and the steering is lighter at low speeds and low lateral g forces. I think that is what people are experiencing when they say it is Buick or Lexus like. I just think and feel that it will blow the socks off my previous BMWs in hard driving.
I completely agree with this assessment. I have a 535 ix sports automatic transmission and I can adjust between normal, sport and sport plus. It doesn’t have ars like dhp but it does tighten the steering and suspension. Its like a having a car with multiple personalities. I feel that people are mistaking easier steering and smoother driving at slow speeds as feeling disconnected but its quite the opposite. I think its a amazing that the car can go from luxury comfort to a sports sedan that feels like its on rails. Some suggest that the E60 was superior in steering and handling but I can assure you after almost a month with my F10, its not the case. People tend to criticize something new that they are not used to but I think in time most will learn to appreciate the subtleties that make this a great car.