View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamike View Post
I've been having a hard time deciding on which BMW to pick. I've been researching the 335 ICs and the 328ICs. I'm concerned about the HPFP issues that appear to plague many 335s (I've even heard about a few of the 2011s have had failures). The 328ic is not as big of an issue due to the lack of twin turbos, but the power is also lacking. I do love the hard-top convertible though. Anyway, now I'm checking out used 650ic and they have enough power and room for sure. I'll have to settle for a rag top, bit was wondering if there are any overall mechanical issues you guys could advise me about. Many thanks in advance!
I spent the last six+ months doing the same research and ultimately bought a 2007 650 vert. What actually got me thinking convertible was all the new mid-size sporty six cylinder hard-top verts that have come out over the last couple of years, as the hard-top seemed like a great solution to typical convertible issues with noise, security, etc. I researched and drove the Lexus 350C, Infinity G37 and BMW 335. Of the three, I wanted the BMW. When I started to talk specifics with the BMW sales guy, he suggested that I test drive the 650 as the price points for 2007-2008 CPOs were only a few thousand more for the 650 (even though MSRP's had been $30K+ higher on the 650). Although I realized he was going for the upsell, I took him up on the offer, and I'm glad I did. The drives were both excellent but somewhat different, and the 650 seemed to have a slight edge in backseat room for the occassional use by my teenagers. Although I liked the 335, the 650 seemed to have more features, a little more "presence", and more uniqueness, luxury and torque than the 335 (one feature I liked was the dynamic suspension "sport" setting in the 650, so I could commute with a smooth ride, and kick in sport mode when needed, which made it so it wasn't as harsh a ride as the 335). So far, I'm still very happy with the ragtop, which I initially thought would be a draw back but it has actually turned out to be a positive given the additional trunk room and good sound dampening.
Either way, you're not going to go wrong b/n the 335 or the 650. Given the complexity of the systems on the 650, I would recommend going CPO and/or extended maintenance, to be on the safe side, even though I haven't had any mechanical problems to date (except brake vacuum pump recall, which is on many BMW models). If you search this forum, you will find some issues with ragtop sensor malfunctions on older 650's, and some other isolated issues, but probably not anything more than usual. Sorry for the long response, but hopefully it helps.

Happy hunting!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)

Last edited by gregb; 12-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.