View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Problem with valvetronic levers - anyone else?

Hello,

On my 2004 X5 (60,000 miles) I am getting a rough idle and "service engine" light flashing when doing a cold start in very cold weather. I took it to two BMW certified mechanics

We were told by several repair places that we needed to have our "valvetronic intermediate levers" replaced as documented in service bulletin SI B 11 02 05. I read the bulletin and it is a big job and we were given rough estimates for over $3,000.

My questions for anyone out there is:

1) Did anyone have this problem and did they get it fixed. How much did it cost? Anyone have the same problem and not get it fixed?

2) I called BMW North America and asked if there was anyway they could help us with the cost? According to the bulletin, the faulty levers were a known problem in 2005. Everytime we took our X5 in for service while it was under warranty, we asked them to fix anything that might be a potential problem before the warranty ran out. They never informed us of these faulty levers. According to our non-dealer mechanics, they are not surprised given that it is a huge job to replace and the dealer probably didn't want to do it.

Has anyone had any luck getting help from BMW NA customer service? The person I spoke with didn't sound very optomistic.

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement