View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed66 View Post
Transfer case Fluid SIB dated 12-14-2009 12.23pm relating to a BMW service bullitin which was released 04/07 advising dealers to change the transfer case oil on vehicles prior too. The oil has since been upgraded to a much superior quality longer life oil. I imagine this service bullitin was produced to stave off further problems associated to this earlier type oil causing premature failures.

My service records also do not show this oil as ever being changed at any stage. So my thoughts is the failure should be their responsibility.
That particular SIB is a bit more abstruse than most of them.
As I understand it, it directs service depts. to change the transfer case fluid ONLY on X3's up to a April 2005 (I think) build date, provided they show a code on the GT1 computer that indicates degraded transfer case fluid.

If they don't show the code, dealers are not authorized to change the fluid.

There is no doubt that transfer cases do a lot of work, in normal use, and to me it makes sense to renew the fluid about every 60K km. at the very least.

Like differentials, I imagine transfer case assembly needs careful attention to detail, and that anything less can lead to premature failure irrespective of the integrity of the lubricating fluid.

A noise at only 33K km. seems to fall into that category IMO.
Also, I magine your X3 is much later than an early '05 model, so was almost certainly factory-filled with the latest (improved) fluid.

Other than that, some BMW dealers appear to have misdiagnosed such noises, based on reports in this forum.
You might want to try and rule out simpler possibilities, such as internal delamination of a front tire, impending wheel bearing failure, noisy accessory belt tensioner, etc.

But it does sound as though they should step up replace the TC under warranty.
Good luck.