BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diamond Shape Key Makeover

21K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
I only have one master key and it's taken a major beating over the years. It's scratched, all the buttons are worn, and it's missing the BMW emblem in the middle. I've tried searching for a couple specific threads where people have done similar things, but I can't seem to find them. What I want to do is buy a blank case off ebay such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCU...3?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item4cef575d53 or even just a used key that's in great shape and take all the guts from my key and put them in the new one... yes, that includes the blade too. A new key from the dealer is just too expensive and the key I currently use still functions so I can't see forking out the money just for cosmetics. While transferring the guys over I'll also change the battery to a new rechargeable one. My questions are:
1) Can someone please post a thread that shows how to take apart the diamond shape key.
2)What battery best fits the diamond shape key.

I know there is a thread out there with all this info in it, I'm just having some major trouble finding it. Thanks for any help! If I go through with this mini-project I'll post pictures!

#2 ·
I know there is a thread out there with all this info in it, I'm just having some major trouble finding it.
When I do a browser find (control f) in the bestlinks sticky for "diamond" (and hit F3 to see each find), I see this:
- Diamond key charging and "battery" replacement & recoding (1) (2) (3) (4)

If that's not what you're looking for, and if you find what you're looking for, please add it to the bestlinks sticky so others don't have to look any harder than that.

#5 · (Edited)
Maybe i can help.
Very nice innovative idea in that thread!
- My cheap solution for a 3 button diamond key remote.

The best links are those that others recommend, and I see that the OP kindly added it already to the bestlinks thread now ... so that the NEXT person is the beneficiary of your expertise!

CoreyMNK ... good work.

Keep us informed. Take pictures. Add to the knowledge level any way you can!

Thanks,
BB

Attachments

#4 ·
Blue, that's perfect! I'll use that thread to change that better and Solo man's thread ti actually change over the guts because the person in that thread used a blank case off ebay like what I'm going to do.

#7 ·
Thanks bluebee! I get my new car Tuesday, and then I'll take on this little project. I'm going to wait until after I get my new car just in case I screw up my current key since it's the only master key I have. I do have a valet key, but it doesn't work at all because my ignition cylinder thing (tumblers) is going bad and since the valet key is never used it for some reason doesn't work :dunno: MatWiz, I'm not even sure how to bedazzle my key. It's hating life right now! :bawling: I've attached two pictures. One of my current key, and one of the new beast :D

Info on the Volvo: It's a 2004 V70R. 300HP 258 foto lbs of torque, 2.5L turbo 5 cylinder. 5 speed geartronic. Active suspension (3 settings: Comfort, Sport, and Advanced). The whole car is in EXCELLENT condition. It has 75,xxx miles and the previous owners took amazing care of it. It's been under Volvo's new car and extended warranty it's whole life, up until about 5 months ago. Great service history and I can't wait for it to get here! The dealership is delivering it because the tires that are on it now rub when making a sharp turn, so they're replacing all 4 tires with the correct size. Take a look at the front bumper, it kidna reminds me of the M5 bumper

Pictures taken with mah 3G INCREDIBLE!! :(

Attachments

#8 ·
WARNING: I hope that anyone attempting the mod that was linked to the UK forum takes the time to READ the entire thread. I think there may be a HUGE MISTAKE. The author originally identifies the large copper wrapped component on the circuit board as the "EWS transponder" (see pic below with red arrow pointing at it)...but then realizes that he may have made a mistake in identifying the transponder...and I agree with him.

I believe the transponder is one of the other (black) chips on the IC inside the key diamond shaped key. But since I don't have that type of key and don't particularly care to ever really own one (excuse my personal dislike for the diamond shaped key :rolleyes: ) I haven't taken the time to really learn much about the specific inner workings of the diamond shaped key...I'll leave that to those who lust for them. :)

#9 ·
but then realizes that he may have made a mistake in identifying the transponder...and I agree with him.
I agree with you that to take out the charging coil (which is what I 'think' he removed), would be a mistake.

He even wonders aloud himself, but, unfortunately he never wrote back with a long-term report - nor did anyone on that forum ping him on it.

So, it's an unknown - but - the good news, is it only pertains to those who are disassembling one key to replace with another.

Here's the bestlink suggestion so far (I modified it twice today):
- BMW diamond key opening, charging, recoding, battery replacement & recoding (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Attachments

#10 ·
I was wondering what he was taking out. I didn't think it was the transponder. Hey blue, it might take ma a couple weeks to get this project done since I'm probably not going to order the key until after xmas. So once I get this project done, should I make a new thread with the DIY in it... or just post it back here. I figured I would ask you since you like the god at organizing threads/ posts into one place.

#15 ·
I was wondering what he was taking out. I didn't think it was the transponder. ... should I make a new thread with the DIY in it... or just post it back here
It's always good to add to a thread when you have not a lot to say, but to create a new thread when you have a lot to say. Generally a DIY is a lot to say so it would be natural to be a new thread.

Generally you cross link in that DIY to other threads, so that the other thread information can be taken into account, as a reference.

But it's up to you (I'm not the thread police ... but I am sometimes a grammar nazi! :) )

BTW, he DID appear to also take out the transponder (see pic below). I think the only thing we worry about though was the coil as I'm not sure any of us know what it actually does.

#11 · (Edited)
Corey...my suggestion would be to try to find a blank diamond shaped key with an empty case. That way all you'll need to do is find a local keysmith that can cut the blade correctly, and then all you need to do is open up you old key and swap the innards (the whole IC board) over into your new key's case.

That would be the easiest and simplest way to gain a master remote key in great condition. Every now and then you'll see these diamond shaped empty key cases with uncut key blades show up on eBay...and if you can't find them in the USA...try some of the Euro eBay sites that speak English...or if you can speak/read/understand another language...try those country's eBay sites, too.

Good luck.

Edit: Being curious...I thought I'd check eBay...and sure enough after typing in "BMW remote key shell" I found a few being sold. BUT I do caution that you make sure that the key blade is correct (take a GOOD LOOK at your key)...plus make sure that you have a keysmith in your area that can cut the blade correctly...the local Sears keyshop usually does NOT have the correct equipment. Click this link to see what I mean: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b5f15a49

#12 ·
Thanks Q. I was under the impression that the diamond shape key couldn't be cut, that's why I was thinking of switching over my key blade. I'm going to start calling some local lock smiths to find one that can do it. When I was looking around on ebay I did find a couple of empty cases. Should it matter if they're OEM or not? Will it be alright to get a Chinese copy? I don't see any problem with a Chinese copy since the actual key blade isn't used for anything more than just turning the ignition switch. The coded part of the key (transponder) is wireless and so is the battery charger. If those things required contact of the ignition and key blade, then I would worry more about getting an OEM key.

#13 · (Edited)
Your thinking is correct. If the blade is correct (again, take a good look at your key's blade to see it's thickness and the knotch near the head of the key) it doesn't matter where it comes from. And if you can find an empty shell...then cutting open your old key to swap it's innards into the shell...shouldn't be a problem either because everything will be intact. The battery and EWS transponder chip are both soldered to the IC board in the new style "diamond" shaped key.

But also be careful because some are empty key shells...and some are uncut BMW keys which still have the electronics inside them. If you wind up with one of those keys...you'll have to carefully do surgery to open the key, then gut it so you can install the innards from your original key...then find a way to secure the key shut (screws or some type of adhesive).

Good luck.

#14 ·
I went to the dealer and got a new one for $150.

#17 ·
Yeah I don't blame you for trying and if it works good deal! My battery was getting weak and all the DIY's on here seem to be hit or miss at best! Especially with the battery soldering crap etc..etc.. I just got sick of it and went and got a brand ditty new one. Love it. Goodluck bro!

#18 ·
Thanks dude! Yeah I'm starting to get scared of the whole battery thing. I'm not sure I'm going to change my battery yet of not. I know it needs it, but this whole soldering thing has got me scared.

#20 ·
Oh heyl yes.

Attachments

#22 ·
#26 ·
:D I'm seriously considering just bedazzling my key!! hahahaha. I still want to get a new one first. You think I could bedazzle a BMW roundel in the center of the key... or will I not have enough room? Those 24k plastic diamonds look big! :eek:

#30 · (Edited)
For those who want to "upgrade" the old "square" key to work in a "diamond" key, here is a new DIY:
- DIY - easy way to make a brand new diamond key work in your older car (96-00)

You have to move the old plastic transponder and the old 3volt CR2016 button battery to the new key.

I'm not sure why, but the OP in that DIY also removed the inductive coil.

Personally, I don't see how it could be 'charging' the battery because it's being used in an older 1996 to 2000 E39 which presumably doesn't even have inductive charging.
And, even if it did, it would be a 'trickle' charge.

If you know more about those questions (which confuse me), see the thread listed above.

Attachments

#32 ·
Thanks Blue for the follow up! I'm sorry I haven't taken this project on yet, my E39 is currently my 3rd car- not my D.D. any more- so I haven't been paying too much attention to it. It's currently sitting in my drive way with a cover on it :)

#33 ·
Today, Saint Q posted nice information about charging a the key (i.e., how long it will stay charged in a drawer, key lifetime expectations, etc.) over here:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Key Loosing Programming

The new style (diamond shaped) keys are sealed. The only way you CAN open it is to break the seal. Again, this is an old subject and you can find DIYs on all the fourms and even YouTube and Google for instructions on how to replace the rechargeable battery in a BMW remote key. The e34/e39/e38/e53/Z3 all use the same type of remote key (basically any BMW model built from 9/99-up to the around 2003 (before the even newer style BMW keys debuted).

Here's some info that may help you understand a bit more about the type of BMW key you have and how to charge the battery:

HINT: KL R = ignition position 1

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
QSilver7, over here today, shows how to INACTIVATE a stolen key situation!
- Erasing old keys from locking control module

With the ignition in position 1 (won't work in any other position)...press the BC button & you should see the word CODE appear on the far right of the MID (or look for it on your Nav monitor):

(MID with CODE feature in display)

(Nav screen with CODE feature in display)

Cliff notes for MID activation of CODE feature:

• Press the SET button and you'll can enter any number of your choosing from 0000-9999 (you MUST remember this number if you want to be able to restart your car)
  • Once the number is entered...press the SET button again and turn the ignition OFF.
  • The only way the car will start (even with a working key) is that the same number you coded in must be re-entered...you will be prompted to enter this number when you turn the ignition on.
  • IF anyone tries to start the car without entering the CODE...after the 3rd attempt, the horn, lights, and alarm siren will sound & go off...and the car will NOT start until the correct CODE is entered.
I would use this feature until you are able to "bar" the key that was lost. You also should reinitialize any remote key you have now...and also when you get your NEW remote key...this will prevent the old key from being able to unlock the car remotely.

Below are the instructions on how to reinitialize the remote keys. This is ONLY for the FZV & DWA features of the key (keyless entry & alarm siren system). The EWS transponder must be "barred" by the dealer using GT-1/DIS/MoDiC equipment:

Attachments

#39 · (Edited)
#40 · (Edited)
Here is an update:

----

----

See also:
- How to replace the old-style BMW E39 square key battery (1) (2) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the old style square keys (1) (2) & where to send your bmw diamond key for repair (1) (2) & what battery to use in the diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & square key to diamond key makeover and transponder retrofit (1) (2) & how to recharge your key out of your BMW and how long a BMW key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & converting the old-style square key to the newer diamond shaped key (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & what else can go wrong with your diamond key other than the battery (1) (2) (3) & proper diamond key initializing or programming (1) (2) (3) (4) & what to do if your key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.