12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Location: In the Transmogrifier
Join Date: Sep 2006
Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Opinions differ, so here are mine in no particular order (except the first one):
Originally Posted by ///MCAMP
I'm the proud new father of a 2008 black sapphire m coupe, and I was wondering what you all might suggest for initial upgrades (interior, exterior, and everything else). What would be the most effective and useful but not necessarily break the bank?
That's all I can think of for now.
- Tires. Best bang for the buck seems to be the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 245f and 265r. The stock sizes reduce the overall wheel height a little more that 1/4". Sticky tires transform the car. *edit* The links on "tires" are not mine. Bimmerfest is hijacking my post to pimp their sponsors.
- UUC Clutch stop. Shorten the bolt as needed to avoid ignition lock out. You can make one out of Home Depot bolts yourself, but for about $20, the UUC is a nice piece.
- Stubby antenna is nice aesthetically. Winner for $30-ish bucks.
- Intakes may actually reduce performance while adding sexy-noise. No one has rigorously tested these that I know of.
- Airbox scoops were all the rage for a while. Lots of butt-dyno claims, but no conclusive testing, and tough to dyno something that relies on a ram-air effect.
- Exhausts are criminally priced. Of course you can get one custom made for much less than what some are asking, but the secret sauce is which muffler can to use to get a nice rumbly and not raspy sound. Someone needs to have a look at one of the massively overpriced kits that didn't sell and dish on what cans were used - as a benefit to the community at large. Supersprint also makes one with the customary Supersprint price and roll-of-the-dice on quality. Overall, exhausts may or may not improve performance. Less exhaust weight helps, but so does a driver on a diet. Again, the appeal is sexy-noise.
- Not a fan of tunes where you have to physically remove the ECU. E85/6 S54 has a different ECU than the E46, so we're closed off to much of the E46 upgrade market.
- As mentioned above, the valve lock/CDV elimination. Don't bother buying the drilled out fake one. You won't be fooling anyone that matters.
- I like the BMW strut brace. It looks better than the others, and performs the same function.
- iPod interface. The BMW one sucks balls, and I think it is unavailable now. The DICE unit sucks too, but not as much. Its what I have, and it mostly gets the job done. There's a full featured one out now, but is fairly involved and it is relatively expensive. You'll have to search, as I forget the name.
- You can get black strut tower caps on EBay for something like $6. Nice little cosmetic touch so you don't have to look at those ugly strut tops any more.
- Some people add a real roundel over the embossed one on the fan shroud under the hood. I had an extra that I stuck on with double-sided tape so it's reversible.
- Hard-wired V1. It is often connected from the front dome light. I got a 9" clear phone (power) cord at Radio Shack to make it less obtrusive than the black cord.
2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Last edited by Zuzax; 12-31-2010 at 09:57 AM.