View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 E39 540IA Steptronic
Exclamation Found the vibration problem - damn guibo's

Suffered severe vibration under heavy acceleration a few weeks ago and decided to poke around and see what i could find...whoa!!! a slightly farked guibo...so now the repairs begin.

Firstly jack up the car, secure the vehicle using proper stands and ramps and DO NOT get under the car unless you're confident its totally secure!.

I will point out that most people FAILED to explain in this and other forums when changing a guibo, is that when removing all bolts and brackets, EVERYONE who wrote about their repairs in the forums failed to let us know that the gearbox is tail end heavy and will drop at least a good 5 - 10" SUDDENLY when the last bolt has been removed, ask me how i know, the back end of the gearbox suddenly gave way and just missed my head anyways i quickly borrowed the scissor lift jack out of the other vehicle and using a few blocks of wood helped secure the gearbox back into place...a crude but an effective manner

Finally removing the tail shaft revealed the culprit...stealers are currently on their annual holiday break but will open again later this week where a guibo has been sourced.

I'll take a few more photo's and will explain in a step by step method how this can be done by you too if required, saving you quite a bit of money at the same time.

Anyways...Happy New Year and best wishes to all for 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1733
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	260595   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1984
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	260596   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	10747
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	260597   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	2677
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	260598   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1848
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	260599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	260600   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	260601  

My EX daily chariot - '99 540IA Steptronic

Standard Cosmetic Mods - Staggered wheel set up, OEM ///M Steering Wheel, ///M spoiler, ///M grills, front lip, Muffler delete with 3" SS bent pipe and tip, the rest is stock.
Ads by Google