View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
On the topic of Guibo vs Giubo
The inventor and company name were exactly what I was referring to, although the references I quoted were different ... namely post #11 over here which I reproduce below for edification purposes.

The spelling matters greatly to me, since I'm trying to maintain the E39 glossary.
Note: I generally add a term every couple of days and I do believe this is the most comprehensive BMW glossary on the Internet.

A dispassionate glossary wouldn't be all that useful if every term were misspelled or subject to the whims of my personal interpretation ...

Below I reproduce an excerpt of what I wrote in that August post #11 when I first learned that guibo (sic) wasn't in the E39 glossary.

PS: Notice I use the word "hopefully" correctly below ... many people don't realize "hopefully" does not mean "I hope"; it means "in a hopeful manner". BTW, I do take liberties with my adverbs (since most people don't seem to notice); so apparently adverbs ARE subject to interpretation!
-----
Searching s'more, I find guibo actually is giubo misspelled, so I hopefully return to the BMW glossary (which I unofficially am trying to accurately maintain) only to find, much to my chagrin, neither term described.

Here's the definition in Wikipedia:
A giubo (pronounced JEW-boh), also known as a flex disc,[1] and commonly misspelled as guibo, is a connection found between the drive shaft and the companion flange on most mechanical devices utilizing a drive shaft in mechanical operation. The giubo itself is a flexible rubberized, or other non conductive vibration damping material, disc coupling used to reduce driveline vibration and keep electrical currents from flowing between the engine and the shaft.
Name

Giubo is a contraction of the Italian word giunto ('joint') and Boschi-the surname of the engineer who first designed the first flex disc around the turn of the 20th Century, who eventually founded GIUBO SpA, a company solely dedicated to manufacturing flex discs.[2]
See also

References

1. ^ http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm
  2. ^ "Giubo spelling and pronunciation". Alfa Romeo Owners' Club digest. 2003-06-17. http://www.digest.net/alfa/archive/v9/msg09114.html. Retrieved 200-04-27.

Last edited by bluebee; 01-02-2011 at 06:34 PM.