Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Subject to interpretation? Since when?

< rant >

... stuff deleted ...

Personally, I cringe every time I hear the 60's recording of "Ish bin ein Berliner" (sic) spoken by a tall, handsome, clean-cut powerful man with a horrid Boston accent and ignorance of the Germanic spoken word, wondering what the Germans must think of the level of effort our Harvard-educated elite spent in learning how to pronounce the simple word "I".

... stuff deleted
Bluebee
I agree with your post, lazy pronunciation irritates me too. One of my personal non-favourites is "twenny" - just like sqeaky chalk on a blackboard to me. But it seems that the tides of progress (?) are against us.

But, I thought you might be interested to hear that when I took a few years of German the teacher told us that Kennedy actually had it at least politically appropriate. His "Ish" is, or was, pretty close to the Berlin dialect/accent. But, she went on to say something like, "Zat is not how vee vill pronouce it in zis klass. Vee vill shpeak proper Deutsch" As I'm trying to hint, she was born & raised in Germany with the accent to prove it. I've always presumed that she was correct about Kennedy's famous phrase.

Regards
RDL