View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
I did my full cooling system overhaul a couple weeks ago. 2002 530i Automatic, 75,000 miles. Tips, I agree with everyone here, do it all at once. Use the best parts and rest easy after.
My radiator split causing this need.
I did not have a tool for the fan clutch but taking a long 15mm box end wrench I put the box end over one of the four 10mm fan pulley mounting bolts and rotated the wrench till the shaft contacted the hub center.
This worked as a lever to hold the water pump firmly in place while I hit the long 1 1/4 wrench with a rubber mallet to losen the fan clutch. One hard whack had it loose. ( 1 1/4 worked and fit perfectly, I did not have a 32mm open end ) It spun off fine. I did use anti-seize on the new water pump hub so the clutch would not be an issue should I ever have to revisit.
I read the posts about quickly installing the fan clutch back on the water pump. I tried once to see how hard it might be and it went on with no issue or strain. I was prepared for using the string trick but did not need it. I had the radiator out for replacement so I had extra room.

I found an oil leak behind the Oil filter housing and pulled it for a clean and new gasket. No more leaks!
Pulled the PS tank hose and replaced the clamp, no more leak.
Found a rats nest in my Air Filter box, removed it, that should help air flow.

Two hoses on the 530i were hard to find.
Part number WO133-1792583 Engine to Heater Control Valve 31.94
Part number WO133-1792584 Heater core to Radiator Tank return line 35.94
My 530i has the 3 heater inlet/outlet ports on the drivers side of the engine compartment side by side. Most photo's I saw only show 2 with the third hose bib on the pass side. 540i design maybe?

These are in addition to all the Hoses included in most of the kits.
Radiator to Thermostat, upper and lower.
Exp tank to the aux pump
Exp tank to Heater core, this is the first half, a second goes actually to the core.
Two more heater hoses, Valve to heater core Left and Right
Aux pump to engine

Last edited by Westlotorn; 01-03-2011 at 10:15 PM.