01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
We really need a good diagnostic thread for diagnosing vibration at highway speeds.
Originally Posted by Rami2001
- Drive shaft
- Thrust Bushing Arm
- Axel bearing
- Hub Centric Ring
- Bent wheels
- Wheel sizes
- Tire sizes
Here is what I have in the bestlinks thread so far.
- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (1) (2) (3) (4); while highway braking (1) (2) (3); and while slow speed braking on bumps (1)
But those vibration on the highway threads are all about the thrust arm bushings - not about the other causes you listed.
I think I'll add this thread - but that means we need to add value to diagnostic procedures to isolate the causes of the following:
What can cause vibration at highway speeds under non-braking conditions?
- - Worn thrust arm bushings or bent thrust arm (1) (2) (3) (4)
- - Worn drive shaft or center bearing or Giubo (1) (2) (3)
- - Worn axle bearing, rear (1), front (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- - Hub Centric Ring (what is this?)
- - Deformed or out of balance wheels
- - Worn tires (belts and/or treadwear)
- - Wrong wheel sizes
- - What else ?
Last edited by bluebee; 01-04-2011 at 09:59 AM.