View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
For bang-for-the-buck I'd look into:
-RPI scoop. It really works, speaking from firsthand observation of the dyno runs vs. stock, same day/conditions/dyno.
-Leather Z MkIV center console
-Ultimate cupholders
-CDV delete.

Other good mods:
-Bimmian's shorty antenna and roundel stickers are very good quality.
-BMW's strut brace is attractive, not too expensive and designed to collapse under a corner impact to not transfer damage to the rest of the vehicle.
-MRTM's pedals. I LOVE them. Very rigid, easy to install, great grip wet or dry.

More expensive, but very beneficial:
-Replace the stock tires. I'm been impressed with Hankook's Ventis V12s and an alternative to the PS2. Just as good, 1/2 the price. The Direzza is a very sticky tire, as it is nearly an r-comp, so it will out perform most HP street tires but wear out much faster. If you are considering the Direzza you might also want to look at the NT05 and NT01.
-Valentine 1. Must have. Period.
-ESS software

Avoid:
-Aftermarket intakes. I know of none that actually improve performance beyond what the new filter provides, and several of them reduce power because of additional heat soak. AFE's was tested by Eloy at RPI and lost an average of 2hp vs. stock.
-Clutch stops. They can cause premature wear as the clutch can still be engaged slightly past the point where it feels disengaged. For the extra millisecond off you shift time why risk it?
-Any DME tune that sounds too good to be true, or is priced below its competitors while also offering more HP. There is no free lunch.
-Any BBK until you are already tracking to the point where you stock brakes with track pads are not sufficient.

Before modding it for the track...TRACK IT. A lot. Make sure you are a competent enough driver that you end up tuning the car, not your driving, with mods.

Last edited by Palantirion; 01-05-2011 at 01:04 PM.