View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 E39 540IA Steptronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
Actually I don't see much consensus there.

I went and looked at the PelicanParts DIY (for a 3-series flex disc replacement). They state the arrows should be pointing toward the flanges on each side (three one way, three the opposite). Regarding the bolts/nuts, they suggest there's a rule of thumb that the arrows also indicate the direction that the bolts are supposed to be oriented. It makes sense of course to have nuts turning on top of those flanges I guess, but each disc hole has a big piece of steel tubing inside so I'm not convinced that protecting the rubber is really a consideration here as long as one is using washers as well. Don't these things have washers under each nut? Another thing I notice is that while the guy in the Pelican DIY states the arrows indicate bolt direction, the flex disc he removed was bolted up like I've seen on my car and in many other pics, that is... with the bolt heads toward the rear and the nuts all on the transmission/engine side of the flex disc.
Other than lettering on one side of the disk there is no difference, there are arrows on the side edges, 2 face inwards and 2 face outwards, i guess it doesn't matter how you fit the disk but in my case i just installed it the same way i removed the old one...lettering facing the rear of the vehicle.

My EX daily chariot - '99 540IA Steptronic

Standard Cosmetic Mods - Staggered wheel set up, OEM ///M Steering Wheel, ///M spoiler, ///M grills, front lip, Muffler delete with 3" SS bent pipe and tip, the rest is stock.