View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
Yes, it is! Actually, this damage is pretty mild compared to some of the pictures I've seen on other forums.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether PTFE-insulated wire would fare better in this application than standard automotive PVC- or XLPE-insulated wire? As far as I can tell, the factory stuff is PVC. It seems that PTFE would be tougher and better than PVC at retaining its flexibility at low temperatures.
GP,

I was a field service engineer for an air pollution equipment manufacturer many years ago, involved in inspection and repair supervision of equipment subjected to intense vibration. The short answer is yes, Teflon covered wire will offer better heat resistance, and enhanced slippage between wires to extend wear resistance. The key though is the amount of strands in the wire. The more wires, the higher the tolerable bend radius, and the wires will last much longer. Teflon will also tolerate much colder temps than PVC and thus resist insulation cracking much better. Once the insulation, which supports the wire, cracks, the conductor is not long for this world.