View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Hi Jason,

I am just wondering about the logistic of any PN when superseded, what it means. Just a general question on any part, not just this Parking Brake part.
I don't know how BMW makes the decision.
Based on my experience in industrial settings, the superseding part is changed in some manner but:
1 is backward compatible for use in the old application, old stock can be used in its original application, but not in a new application/machine/equipment. Instance 1 is most common when the part is used in a new application/machine that needs different properties. Sometimes when the new part has been redesigned for cost reduction and looks different even though it will perform the same function. Superseding reduces the number of stock units to inventory which is a cost saving.

or

2 the old part # should not be used any longer & old stock will be withdrawn from the supply chain. Instance 2 would usually occur when experience demonstrated that the original part fails prematurely or is found not to perform properly under conditions overlooked during design.

Instance 1 vs 2 is often invisible to the end users. The OEM decides whether to actively withdraw superseded stock from the supply chain or let it run down without replenishment.

This explanation is simplified, but I'm trying to avoid a treatise in engineering change management, inventory control and supply chain management .

Regards
RDL