View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: Z3Q, 2.8L, 1999/2
Quote:
The studs in the cylinder will come out pretty easy; this, and replacing the studs and nuts has already been covered ^

For (MUCH) greater access, I remove the sheetmetal barrier around the electrical box. This takes about 10-15 minutes to do (and a similar amount of time to replace) but it is well worth the trouble. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have scraped up arms, but at least you'll be able to get your arm in there.

Of all the sets I've replaced, and the times they needed to come off so the head could be pulled, only once (1) was the engine out of the car.

I don't do write ups, I'll refer you to the BMW TIS (workshop manual) and pictures; you're either capable and willing to try, or you aren't.

These are pictures of a 2.8 (Coupe) that had to have the head come off; yours should be nearly identical:

This shows access with sheetmetal barrier removed; manifolds still in place

Manifolds off

@Randy: So i MUST remove the sheetmetal barrier around the electrical box to unbolt manifold or i can do this without removing sheetmetal?

In your procedure you remove plastic cover, than the coils to get to this on the picture?

Where is electrical box?

How can i get to the bottom of the manifold to unscrew catalyst??

Thanks

Last edited by markobb; 01-10-2011 at 09:30 AM.