View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
here you go! post 1 of this thread had the info. ngk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd944 View Post
Changed the oil and did the spark plugs last weekend. Did not find a good writeup so I made one. I have a work document with photos. can I attach that?

Spark Plug change 2003 BMW 745i (E65)

I changed the oil first but taking the car off the ramps will make for better access. All the work is done from the top.

Tools needed:
Torx T30
Torx T25
Spark plug socket
10mm extended socket
2 3/8 drive extensions
Tape (trust me on this)
Wrench
Torque Wrench

Parts Needed:
8 new NGK spark plugs ($28 each at dealer, or under $2 each at Advance Auto)

Procedure:
Using the T30 torx screwdriver remove the four screws that hold the plastic engine cover to the top of the engine.

I also removed the plastic guards above the radiator fan for better access (T25)

I took this opportunity to vacuum the top of the engine and then used some compressed air to clean the dust and dirt off the engine. (do not do this with the spark plugs out!!!)

The next part that comes off is the “BMW” side covers. They will just pull straight out. They are held in by friction. No tools are needed for removal.

Now you will be looking at the coils on the spark plugs.

The coils should be removed one at a time. I started at the front and worked my way back to the firewall.
Below is a coil that has been removed.

Some of these are difficult to remove and will require some serious pulling. Rotate them back and forth to loosen the coils. Do not use any tools to pry the coils out. You do not want to break the harness clip.

The rear plugs (closest to the firewall) are a serious PITA. I needed to tape a few shorter 3/8 extensions together as I put them into the spark plug hole. Removing them I needed to cut the tape and remove each piece one at a time.

Below is the “tool” I made

Be sure to apply anti-seize on the threads before installing the new sparkplugs.
Torque the new sparkplugs in to 19 ft-lbs (or whatever the plugs state)

Push on the coil and be sure it “pops” back on. It will kind of click when it is on all the way. Clip on the harness and you are back in business.

Be sure to start the car before putting the covers back on the engine and take this time to reset the spark plug counter to 100k.
• Put the key in, do not put your foot on the brake
• Hit the start button
• Hold down the trip reset for 10 sec.
• Page through until you get to spark plugs and reset the value

My wife noticed MPG went from 24mpg to 25.6 mpg. Looks like the spark plugs were due! I changed them at 95k.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos